While It Lasts (Sea Breeze, #3) - Abbi Glines I've read both Breathe and Because of Low (as well as Abbi Glines' other books) and I feel like my review will be exactly the same for those, but I haven't got around to reviewing those yet. I just finished reading this and there are good things and bad things that make me cringe and want to throw my kindle out a window.
The positives: It's cute, it's quick and it's easy to relate to. The personal stories of both Cage and Eva were realistic and has substance. They were strong characters because they had good back stories. I thought Cage's personality in particular was the most realistic and he wasn't too ragey and crazy. Seriously, as soon as he punched someone I would have closed the book and fumed for a few days. Luckily, he didn't. We had heard plenty about him in Because of Low and knew that he was honest about himself and knew that he was a bit screwed up. Fortunately, we knew he was still a big-hearted guy, courtesy of Low. So the change from beginning-of-book Cage isn’t too severe compared to end-of-book Cage.
Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for Eva. Her characterisation was clunky and inconsistent and I felt like she was harping on about her dead fiancée, Josh, and how depressed she was and wasn’t able to look at another man ever but then her actions didn’t hold true to that as she practically thre herself at Cage.
Another good thing, was the setting and how well Abbi brought in other characters without growing tired. Abbi writes quite a nice tight romance and we don’t get bored.
The worst thing about this book (and actually just about all of Abbi’s books) was her dialogue. Oh my god, it is practically vomit-inducing the amount of times, words like ‘baby’ and ‘sexy’ are used. Her descriptions are overused and her dirty talk is unrealistic. I feel like they never said anything other than, ‘get your sexy little self over here.’ Or something similar. And then a steamy scene would go down.
There was a lot of back-and-forth between steamy situations, confusion and guilt, and then make-up with little actual conversation. I’m unsure whether Eva and Cage’s relationship would actually work in the real word because it was like they were unable to talk about real things. What happens when they have to start talking about taxes one day?
So among the cutesy clichés, the easy fixes and unrealistic dialogue, there was a real story here which I think was a good YA novel.
Just, get some new ideas, please, Abbi.