Gabriel's Inferno - Sylvain Reynard I found Gabriel's Inferno quite difficult to form an opinion of simply because there were some things that I didn't like and some things that I did.
Firstly, both Gabriel and Julia struck me as wooden and very posed. None of their conversations felt real. So much of it was sickly sweet and tedious and didn't make me warm to them.
Julia, in particular, was not my favourite protagonist. I know the author intended for her to be sweet, unsure, kind and with a low self-esteem but I just found her pathetic. Gabriel's reactions to her didn't help at all either. I did think she had reasons for being the way she was, but I found just reading about her awkward.
Gabriel, on the other hand, was likeable at first. But then his constant speeches and endearments to Julia got so annoying I just wanted to yell at him.
I thought that despite the author's writing ability being so wonderful, I detested the characters he created. Gabriel's past demons were interesting but very dark. Somehow, I just never warmed to him completely. Does that make me an awful person, for not warming to a fictional character who is an ex-drug user, and mentally scarred? Maybe. But that's just me.
But I still thought the whole Professor/Student relationship was well done. It simply died away as soon as they were away from their school.
What I did happen to love about the book was the intellectual references and information. Sometimes when you're reading a book that claims to have a specialist, you never believe it. But I loved how much literature and musical references popped up. Some, I recognised and some I didn't. It was written for an audience of an older generation, who would grasp the significance of Nine Inch Nails, for example. I, however, have never heard that music.
So, while I often appreciated the author's writing in general, the dialogue between characters was like watching a soap opera.